Since creating the “to be continued” blog, I’ve been closing each post with the words “dwell in possibilities.” I must confess that I borrowed this phrase from the great poet, Emily Dickinson. I saw her quote and realized that it summed up what I am doing as a professional home stager and interior designer.

I am most grateful to Ms. Dickinson for her insightful and inspiring phrase.

Regardless of the size or price range of a house, my objective is to find the possibilities in that house. I am looking for those unique features of that house and finding possible ways to accentuate them for the potential buyer. I am analyzing those unusual spaces that buyers find difficult to understand upon first glance and finding possible functional uses for those spaces.

In the end, my mission is to help the potential buyer see how they could dwell in the possibilities of this house!


Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Home Staging Areas of Concentration – Focal Points

This week we are discussing my home staging areas of concentration.  Today, we will examine focal points.
After examining the house’s curb appeal and entry area, I focus my attention on those factors that make this house unique and distinct from the other homes on the market in this price range.  Typically, a focal point is a permanent element of the house. 
·         Does this house have a great view? 
·         Is there a fireplace and how can we draw the buyer’s attention to this unique feature of this house? 
·         Are there hardwood or marble floors that accentuate a dining room or master bath? 
·         What about the kitchen?  Does it have special cabinetry, granite countertops, or a unique layout?  Is the kitchen designed to be a gathering space as well as a place to cook?
·         Are there any other architectural features that we want to highlight?
Once the house’s focal points are identified, the home staging task is to show off the house’s potential by drawing the potential buyer’s attention to them.  And this is where my creativity, experience, resources and inventory can be invested in helping sell the house quicker and for the highest price possible.
With a professionally staged house, buyers imagine living in that house and making it their home.  A buyer will imagine their best selves living in the home. 

Isn’t this why we staged the home in the first place?

Remember to dwell in possibilities!

Cindy

P.S. Don’t forget to check in Thursday and Friday to hear about what I learned and saw on my trip to the Merchandise Mart and favorite stores in Chicago!

No comments:

Post a Comment