Since creating the “to be continued” blog, I’ve been closing each post with the words “dwell in possibilities.” I must confess that I borrowed this phrase from the great poet, Emily Dickinson. I saw her quote and realized that it summed up what I am doing as a professional home stager and interior designer.

I am most grateful to Ms. Dickinson for her insightful and inspiring phrase.

Regardless of the size or price range of a house, my objective is to find the possibilities in that house. I am looking for those unique features of that house and finding possible ways to accentuate them for the potential buyer. I am analyzing those unusual spaces that buyers find difficult to understand upon first glance and finding possible functional uses for those spaces.

In the end, my mission is to help the potential buyer see how they could dwell in the possibilities of this house!


Monday, March 14, 2011

Home Staging Areas of Concentration – Curb Appeal

Each house is different and each buyer is different.  Home staging helps set this house apart from the competition for all of the right reasons.  When it is done well, home staging accentuates the home’s best features and provides a nice, easy and consistent use of space and movement. 
When I stage a house, I concentrate on the home’s curb appeal, entry area, focal points, flow, furniture arrangement and accessories.  My plan this week is to spend time discussing my home staging areas of concentration. 
Today, we will examine my first area of concentration – curb appeal.
Curb appeal and exterior style often determine if a house will make a potential buyer’s “first cut”.  So the staging process begins here.
There is an initial impression made about every house.  My goal is to create an emotional reaction that begins when a prospective buyer pulls into the driveway and does not end until the home has been viewed and the front door is closed.
My first questions when I pull into the driveway:
·         Do the exterior paint colors look dated, mismatched or poorly maintained? 
·         Is the landscaping consistent with the house and the neighborhood? 
·         Are the porch and steps inviting or lackluster? 
In a potential buyer’s eyes, the appearance of the outside of a house is an indicator of what is to follow.  Red flags appear when the flower beds are weedy, the front door is dirty, the sidewalks and porch are un-swept, flower pots are empty and toys are scattered about.  But freshly mulched flower beds, a clean and orderly front porch, colorful flower pots and overall order foreshadow a well maintained house that has been enjoyed and pampered.
Buyers want to walk-in a professionally staged home (inside and out).  And once in, they want to see more. 

Dwell in possibilities!

Cindy

PS – this week, I am in Chicago visiting the Merchandise Mart and shops in and around Michigan Avenue looking for the latest and most interesting design and staging ideas.  This Chicago trip is “to be continued” later this week with posts and pictures of what I learned and saw!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment