Since creating the “to be continued” blog, I’ve been closing each post with the words “dwell in possibilities.” I must confess that I borrowed this phrase from the great poet, Emily Dickinson. I saw her quote and realized that it summed up what I am doing as a professional home stager and interior designer.

I am most grateful to Ms. Dickinson for her insightful and inspiring phrase.

Regardless of the size or price range of a house, my objective is to find the possibilities in that house. I am looking for those unique features of that house and finding possible ways to accentuate them for the potential buyer. I am analyzing those unusual spaces that buyers find difficult to understand upon first glance and finding possible functional uses for those spaces.

In the end, my mission is to help the potential buyer see how they could dwell in the possibilities of this house!


Friday, September 30, 2011

Wallpaper – To Remove or Not To Remove, That Is The Question…………..

I am often asked to comment on a subject as it pertains to houses being prepared to go on the market……..”What about the wallpaper?”  And my answer is usually the same - “Remove it”

My logic for removing wallpaper is as follows:

H  Wallpaper is almost always dated.

H  Wallpaper is taste and style specific.  In most cases, it is unique to the home seller.  And our home staging objective is to appeal to a wide number of buyers.

H  Home buyers see wallpaper as work and another expense associated with buying and living in your home.  They will depreciate your asking price by more than the amount it will cost to remove the paper.

The bottom line is – wallpaper will cost the home seller money!  The question is whether you want to control those costs by taking steps to remove the wallpaper prior to listing the house or dealing with the cost in an inflated price reduction offered by a potential buyer.

Today’s pictures illustrate how removing wallpaper streamlined this bedroom and bathroom and brought them into the present. 

I have to admit, walking into the before bathroom and bedroom (and looking at these pictures) made me anxious and tired.  There is a completely different feeling after the wallpaper removal.  I think the words fresh and airy are fitting.


Of course, this example of wallpaper comes from "one of my all time favorite staging projects".  Check out our website to experience the Paddock staging project at http://www.transitions-home-staging.com/Paddock-Staging.html .

Remember to dwell in possibilities. But make sure you have fun in the process.  Life is too short not to have fun!!!


Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment