Since creating the “to be continued” blog, I’ve been closing each post with the words “dwell in possibilities.” I must confess that I borrowed this phrase from the great poet, Emily Dickinson. I saw her quote and realized that it summed up what I am doing as a professional home stager and interior designer.

I am most grateful to Ms. Dickinson for her insightful and inspiring phrase.

Regardless of the size or price range of a house, my objective is to find the possibilities in that house. I am looking for those unique features of that house and finding possible ways to accentuate them for the potential buyer. I am analyzing those unusual spaces that buyers find difficult to understand upon first glance and finding possible functional uses for those spaces.

In the end, my mission is to help the potential buyer see how they could dwell in the possibilities of this house!


Monday, May 16, 2011

“Where thou art, that is home” ~ Emily Dickinson

Today is a very special day! Two years ago, I married my fabulous husband, Walt.  We combined households (no small feat) and created a space that reflects who we are individually and as a couple.  In the words of Emily Dickinson, It is home.

On this anniversary, I am reminded that each home is a story.  Our home is providing a wonderful chapter in our life adventure that is full of dreams and experiences.  It is the place where Walt and I entertain our family and friends; share our days, plans and dreams; and especially, laugh, love and live. 

We are continuing the story that spans from the first time I visited this newly constructed and partially furnished home (our first date) to our wedding reception where we celebrated with family and friends -- to just yesterday when we planted our spring flowers.

Potential home buyers come with great expectations and high hopes!  My job as a home stager is to help sellers prepare their house in a way that helps a potential buyer imagine themselves living their best life and continuing the story of that home. 

Many new homeowners probably share the sentiment expressed so eloquently by Jane Smiley:

I loved the house the way you would any new house, because it is populated by your future, the family of children, friends and neighbors who will fill it with noise or chaos and satisfying pleasures”

Milestones (such as home purchases, graduations and anniversaries) make us look at how, with whom, and where we live our lives.  And in each case, the possibilities often seem as limitless as the achievement because we know the life adventure continues on to the next milestone.


Dwell in possibilities!


Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment