Since creating the “to be continued” blog, I’ve been closing each post with the words “dwell in possibilities.” I must confess that I borrowed this phrase from the great poet, Emily Dickinson. I saw her quote and realized that it summed up what I am doing as a professional home stager and interior designer.

I am most grateful to Ms. Dickinson for her insightful and inspiring phrase.

Regardless of the size or price range of a house, my objective is to find the possibilities in that house. I am looking for those unique features of that house and finding possible ways to accentuate them for the potential buyer. I am analyzing those unusual spaces that buyers find difficult to understand upon first glance and finding possible functional uses for those spaces.

In the end, my mission is to help the potential buyer see how they could dwell in the possibilities of this house!


Thursday, August 25, 2011

Why Stage the Entry Area

I firmly believe that one of most critical staging areas is the entry area.  And the reason is pretty simple.  Buyers make up their mind in the first 30-60 seconds upon entering a house.  The rest of the time in the house is spent justifying their first emotional reaction. 
Entry areas come in all shapes and forms.  From the small closed off “hallway” to the magnificent and open entrance with the grand stairway.  No matter what you have to work with, this space has to look great.  And, it can be done.
There is a simple technique that I use with sellers who are on the fence about having their house staged and/or updated.  I ask the sellers to stand with me at their front door entry and tell me what they see.  Often, there is a soft groan as they begin to look at their house through the eyes of a potential buyer.  They typically come to the realization that the home that they love could benefit from professional help.
As a stager, I must make sure that an entry space makes that all important first impression. I ask questions that relate to the senses:
·         Are all areas within sight of the entry visually appealing and is the room well and softly light?
·         Is there a clean and fresh smell?
·         Does the front door hardware have a nice feel and is the air temperature comfortable?
·         Is there a relaxed, warm and peaceful feeling?

Check out the Transitions website for examples of how we stage entry areas to make good first impressions.  Just click on http://www.transitions-home-staging.com/Entry-Ways-I.html  

In summary, the entry area sets the tone for the rest of the home showing.  As we share over and over again, you are never given a second chance to make a good first impression.  With an interesting and inviting entry, the potential buyer begins to see the possibilities of making this house their home. 

Dwell in possibilities! 

Cindy


No comments:

Post a Comment