Since creating the “to be continued” blog, I’ve been closing each post with the words “dwell in possibilities.” I must confess that I borrowed this phrase from the great poet, Emily Dickinson. I saw her quote and realized that it summed up what I am doing as a professional home stager and interior designer.

I am most grateful to Ms. Dickinson for her insightful and inspiring phrase.

Regardless of the size or price range of a house, my objective is to find the possibilities in that house. I am looking for those unique features of that house and finding possible ways to accentuate them for the potential buyer. I am analyzing those unusual spaces that buyers find difficult to understand upon first glance and finding possible functional uses for those spaces.

In the end, my mission is to help the potential buyer see how they could dwell in the possibilities of this house!


Monday, August 1, 2011

He Said, She Said, She Thought - Part I

Recently, I had a conversation with a home seller which ended up being a three-way conversation – what he said, what I said, and what I was actually thinking.  This is but one example of these types of conversations that I sometimes have so I thought I would share more examples of these types of three way conversations. 

Let’s play out a few of these He Said, She Said, She Thought conversations. 

Dated and Frumpy (Need to Get the Grandma Out of This One) 

HE SAID – I don’t understand why these potential buyers don’t see the charm of my home.  It served my wife and me quite well for the past 30 years.  My Realtor tells me that the feedback from the showings is negative but she does not give us many details. 

I SAID – I understand that your house was special to your wife and you.  Today’s home buyer is looking for fresh, clean and move-in ready.  Your house could benefit from some upgrades and de-cluttering.  For example, your house could really benefit from repainting and removal of some of the wallpaper you have in many rooms. 

I THOUGHT – This house is dated and frumpy. Avocado appliances, floral wallpaper, and worn-out furniture just won’t work in today’s market.  My guess is that the Realtor feedback is due to the lack of energy and freshness that permeates this house.  We need to get the “Grandma” out of this house with new paint, new carpeting, and other upgrades.  

My Realtor Is Not Doing Enough 

HE SAID – The market here in Houston (or Dallas, Oklahoma City, Atlanta, or fill in the blank) is turning houses over quickly without all of these upgrades, changes and stagings.  I just don’t understand why my Realtor is not doing enough marketing to get my parent’s house sold.  Plus, I’ve sold lots of houses myself and never had to rely on a professional home stager to make the sale. 

I SAID – Each market is different.  In our market with this type of house, you may need some extras because your main competition in this price range is new construction.  I know your Realtor and she always does a first rate job representing her buyers.  I am surprised that you are not happy with her support. 

I THOUGHT – Yeah right!  Home staging is a standard in areas like Houston, Atlanta or Dallas.  Odds are this guy has sold houses with the support of his company’s relocation service and supporting package.  He does not understand our market nor is he willing to rely on the professional expertise and experience of the Realtor supporting him.  This is another case of He Knows Best. 

We will share more examples of these three way conversations in our next blog as well as other thoughts on why these conversations happen.

In the interim, share your examples of these types of conversations as they don’t just happen between the seller (male or female) and the home stager.  I know that my Realtor partners have these conversations all the time with their sellers.

Dwell in possibilities

Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment