Since creating the “to be continued” blog, I’ve been closing each post with the words “dwell in possibilities.” I must confess that I borrowed this phrase from the great poet, Emily Dickinson. I saw her quote and realized that it summed up what I am doing as a professional home stager and interior designer.

I am most grateful to Ms. Dickinson for her insightful and inspiring phrase.

Regardless of the size or price range of a house, my objective is to find the possibilities in that house. I am looking for those unique features of that house and finding possible ways to accentuate them for the potential buyer. I am analyzing those unusual spaces that buyers find difficult to understand upon first glance and finding possible functional uses for those spaces.

In the end, my mission is to help the potential buyer see how they could dwell in the possibilities of this house!


Friday, April 8, 2011

Right Brain, Left Brain - A Contradiction in Terms that Works for Me

I have a confession to make - I am a contradiction in terms with a special link that makes it all work. 

My first career was as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA).  I built a small tax practice that I ran very successfully for 10 years.  I sold that business when my late husband became ill and left the accounting profession behind.  On the one hand, I had a very “right brain” type of career that was logical, analytical and objective.

In 2005, I decided to embark on a completely new career.  I enrolled in the local community college, took courses in home staging from Center Stage Home TM and became immersed in a new creative pursuit – home staging and interior design.  Loving my home, inside and out, decorating it, and rearranging creatively is in my genetic make-up.  For the past 6 years, my husband and I are building a home staging business that has staged more than 150 houses!  And, I get involved in some interesting design projects (cool doctor’s office will be the subject of a future blog).  So, on the other hand, I am now in a career that is “left brain” focused - intuitive, creative, and subjective.

The great thing is that I loved running the tax practice and I am having the time of my life building this home staging and design business.  I can resolve this seeming contradiction because there is a common link to my right brained and left brained careers – people and relationships. 

The fun part of my tax practice was in spending time with my clients, learning about the life changes over the past year, discussing their plans and dreams and helping them help me complete their tax returns. 

The fun part of home staging and interior design are the people and relationships that I develop with realtors and home sellers.  As any realtor can tell you, one learns a great deal about people’s lives, plans, problems and personalities when you help them sell their house.  I take personal ownership and pride in every house that I stage and I consider the listing realtor and seller as members of my extended family.  I want them to succeed by selling their house quickly and for the best possible price.

I get very excited to learn that one of my staged houses has a contract.  I am happy for my “new friends” (and in some cases old friends) who can now begin the next chapter of their lives.  I am happy for my realtor partners as we were able to help our client sell their house.  And I am happy for myself as my hard work, creativity and experience made a difference once again.

Every day, I get to dwell in possibilities for homes and sellers.  I am blessed to love what I do and enjoy the people with whom I work. 

Remember to dwell in possibilities for yourself and for others!!

Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment