Since creating the “to be continued” blog, I’ve been closing each post with the words “dwell in possibilities.” I must confess that I borrowed this phrase from the great poet, Emily Dickinson. I saw her quote and realized that it summed up what I am doing as a professional home stager and interior designer.

I am most grateful to Ms. Dickinson for her insightful and inspiring phrase.

Regardless of the size or price range of a house, my objective is to find the possibilities in that house. I am looking for those unique features of that house and finding possible ways to accentuate them for the potential buyer. I am analyzing those unusual spaces that buyers find difficult to understand upon first glance and finding possible functional uses for those spaces.

In the end, my mission is to help the potential buyer see how they could dwell in the possibilities of this house!


Thursday, March 24, 2011

Home Staging Areas of Concentration – Furniture Arrangement – Part 2

As I wrote yesterday, furniture arrangement is the vehicle to accomplish some of the other areas of home staging concentration.  Furniture arrangement can help define the focal points, provide the easy flow of a home and lead a potential buyer’s eye around a room. 
After I defined the original intent of the room and made sure the furniture in the room is consistent with this intent, the next questions I ask myself are:
·         Does the furniture arrangement direct the eye to the features of the space?
·         Does the furniture arrangement consider the view from the entry point of the room?
Today’s “before” and “after” pictures illustrate another home staging principle:
Furnishings should complement the space, not take it over.
Before staging, the furniture arrangement did nothing to complement the spacious, bright room with nice new tile (laid in an interesting pattern).  The furniture arrangement consisted of a too small rug, furniture lined up directly along the walls, a key board and a chair blocking the entry.  When you entered the room, the view was of the side of a cabinet. 
We remedied the situation by first moving the cabinet to a large bare wall, relocating the key board to another room and floating the sofa and two chairs away from the wall and arranging them on the diagonal.  This opened up the room and highlighted the diagonal pattern of the floor tile.  A second seating area was formed with other furniture and accessories. A larger rug brought in from the family room unified the whole space.  Silk drapery panels highlighted the large window and added the dimension of a view of the lush front lawn.
Now, the nice vignette of two chairs and a nicely accessorized console make a nice entry point to this large bright and interesting room.
Yes, these are pictures from our “Homeowner of the Week” home.  After I finished writing my blog article yesterday, I checked in to see how things went on the first day on the market.  Evidently, there was a flurry of activity.  So far so good……….

Dwell in possibilities!

Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment